facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
Should I Invest in a 401k on a Work Visa? Thumbnail

Should I Invest in a 401k on a Work Visa?


If you're in the United States on a work visa, you may wonder whether or not it's worth investing in a 401k. Investing in a retirement account is almost always suggested, but there are some hurdles that visa holders must understand before opening a 401K. 

Depending on the kind of visa you qualify for, investing in a 401K could hurt you financially. However, 401Ks aren’t the only retirement plans available to immigrants in the U.S. We’ll go over your many options and help you answer that burning question: should I invest in a 401K?

Related Article | The Finance Dictionary: Learn the jargon your Finance friends speak!

Should I Invest in a 401K on a Work Visa?

Deciding whether to invest in a 401K or any other retirement plan in the U.S. is a big decision for anyone. The decision is even more complicated if you’re in the U.S. on a work visa Foreign nationals should consider their long-term plans to determine if they'll benefit from a retirement savings account.

There isn't a one-size-fits-all answer because each person has different plans and qualifies for separate visas.

If you plan to move back to your.. homeland, you may be forced to disobey the withdrawal rules. Withdrawing early violates the rules of 401k investment accounts, which can result in fines and extra tax fees.

Depending on your residency status in the U.S., investing in a 401K could cost you more long-term. Let’s discuss the different types of U.S. visas and residency programs and then jump into their impact on investment opportunities. 

What Is a Work Visa?

A work visa allows a non-citizen to work in another country for a fixed time. There are several U.S. worker's visas, including specialty visas and temporary agricultural and non-agricultural labor visas. Non-resident visas require proof of employment to enter the country. Other temporary visas include exchange programs for schools and internship visas. 

Each of the above visas is temporary and only provides access to the U.S. for fixed periods. However, the U.S. also offers permanent visas for qualified individuals. Permanent visas aren’t the same as a worker’s visa, however, and provide different access to the United States.

Immigrant vs. Non-Immigrant Visas

The United States offers approximately 140,000 immigrant or permanent visas each year. These visas go to immigrants with a solid job offer with a company certified by the U.S. Department of Labor. These visas ensure an immigrant isn't taking a job away from potential U.S. citizens. Immigrant visas usually include spouses and children and are sometimes permanent. 

A non-immigrant visa is a temporary visa. The applicant must have an employer match or sponsor. The employer files the petition with the USCIS, and then the individual files for the visa. Non-immigrant visas don't automatically include family members, and you may need to apply separately for your spouse and children.

Dual Intent vs. Non-Dual Intent

A majority of work visas are non-dual intent. Non-dual intent means the applicant intends to live in the U.S. temporarily. This is the case for people coming to the U.S. for school or a job with a defined end date.

A dual intent visa means the applicant intends to apply for a green card while working and living in the U.S. While the doctrine of dual versus non-dual residency is a little vague, these general rules apply in most circumstances. 

Common Visa Types

  • H-1B - People in specialized fields with at least a bachelor's degree can apply for this visa, which allows them to reside and work in the U.S. for up to three years
  • L-1 - Professionals working for a company in their home country can transfer to the same company and apply for an L-1 visa with a 3-year term
  • O-1 - Professionals with exceptional abilities can come to the U.S. on an O-1 visa, which extends to their immediate family and is valid for three years
  • T.N. - The TN Nafta visa is exclusively for Canadian and Mexican citizens to enter the U.S. for business activities
  • H1B1 - Residents of Chile and Singapore can use this visa to apply for temporary employment in the U.S. 
  • E-3 - Residents of Australia with unique skills and at least a bachelor's degree can use this visa to enter the U.S

Related Article | Get the Most Out of Your 401K Contributions with a 401K True Up

The Best Investment Accounts for a Work Visa

Retirement savings is still a concern if you're in the U.S. on a work visa. It may be a more pressing subject if you plan to be in the United States long-term. Waiting to save for retirement means you lose compound interest. When you return to your country, you'll have a lot of catch-up contributions to make to prepare for retirement.

401K retirement plans are the best investment accounts, especially if an employer matches your deposit 403B plans work the same. You may get an employer match but must work for a non-profit or government agency.

If you aren't eligible for a 401K, you can consider an IRA. A Roth IRA is the better option  since you contribute after-tax income and save more money. Contributing this way eliminates penalties on contributions if you withdraw funds early.  Traditional IRA accounts are a better option if you don’t have much money to open a Roth IRA.

If you're on a work visa and meet all other Health Savings Account requirements, you can put pre-tax money away for healthcare needs. While not the same as a 401K or Roth IRA, these programs offer the holder many health and financial benefits.

You may also consider getting a 529 college savings plan. Any immigrant, citizen or not, can contribute to a 529 plan; but they must have a valid social security number

Why Invest in Special Accounts - The Benefits

Investing in IRAs, 401Ks, and other retirement funds can significantly impact your life after retirement. Don't get discouraged if you don’t qualify to invest in one type of account. Speaking with a qualified financial adviser is the best way to determine how to start reaping the benefits based on your status and ability. 

Some of the benefits of these investments for immigrants include the following: 

  • Tax advantages, such as reduced tax liability
  • Earn compound interest or earnings
  • Potential company match, aka free money from employer contributions
  • Tax breaks or a tax-deferred basis on your income

The above list of potential benefits is not exhaustive but gives a glimpse. The best way to make the right choices for yourself and your family is to start looking for options right away. The sooner you invest, the more interest you’ll accumulate. 

Challenges of Investing With a Working Visa 

Understanding the challenges of investing options with a work visa is essential. Most types of retirement accounts are for 'future use.' You might face unexpected tax liabilities if you aren't sure of your long-term plans.

Some of the challenges to consider include:

  • Early withdrawal penalties before retirement age, including a 10% penalty plus income taxes
  • Potential tax liabilities or penalties in your home country
  • Compliance issues due to the Patriot Act of 2001
  • Tax treaties don't often recognize the tax-free benefits of a Roth IRA

One of the first questions to ask yourself is, how long you plan to stay in the U.S.? Retirement investments are long-term accounts. If you back out of your investments early, you could lose money or barely break even. 

Consider the potential risks and benefits whenever you ask yourself, should I invest in a 401K?

Related Article | Can I Take a Loan From My IRA / 401K Retirement Plans?

Tips for Investing While Holding a Worker’s Visa

If you're on a work visa, here are some tips to consider before exploring your investment options.

Understand the Types of U.S. Visas

Understand the U.S. visa types and which you qualify for based on your skills, employment, and future plans.

Some visas have duration restrictions. Long-term investment plans, like a 401K, need time to accumulate wealth and benefit the investor.

Additionally, there's always the chance you could lose your job. What would happen to your visa, and what tax breaks or 401K benefits would you lose if this happens? While this isn’t something anyone hopes for, weighing the possibility against the potential gains is essential. 

Know Your Stay Length

Try to determine your stay length. If it's temporary and only lasts a few years, you should hold off on saving retirement money in the U.S.The administrative obstacles might not be worth the investment unless it's long-term

However, retirement planning now will help you reach your financial goals if your job is a long-term position.

Don't Forget About College Plans

Permanent residents with a  child who has a valid Social Security number can open a 529 college fund. Your beneficiary can use these funds for college tuition while saving you money on taxes.

Returning Home - Leave the Money Sit vs. Withdrawing Your Funds

 If you return to your homeland, you can leave the money in your 401K or withdraw the funds. Some nonresidents choose to roll their money into an IRA account until they retire. 

However, some only leave their money in the account for one year. Doing so helps alleviate the tax burden the following year. Their only income is the retirement account funds, which is not taxed as high as other income sources. This puts them in a lower tax bracket and reduces their taxable income.

However, some countries penalize the retirement money you earn in the United StatesYou may not have any choice except withdraw the funds and pay the penalties and taxes. Ensure you understand the rules of your homeland and the U.S. before investing.

Related Article | Google RSU and 401k: What You Need To Know


What Is the Difference Between 401K and 403B Retirement Savings Accounts?

 For-profit companies offer 401Ks to their employees. A 403B account is similar to a 401K, except their only available to employees of non-profit organizations. Although slightly different, they generally operate the same. The difference between 401K and 403B retirement savings is your employer.

Can I Contribute to a 401K and an IRA at the Same Time?

You can contribute to both a 401K and an IRA simultaneously. However, ensure you understand the rules regarding how much you can deduct annually in taxes. Generally, individuals earning over $73,000.00 annually are eligible for only a partial deduction. 

Are Work Visa Holders' Children Considered U.S. Citizens?

The United States allows certain visa holders to get their children a visa because of their work. But only children of certain visa holders qualify. Most other visa holders don't automatically grant their children access to the U.S.

What Is a Tax Treaty and How Does It Work?

If your country has a tax treaty with the U.S., they allow tax breaks on the income you bring from the U.S. This works well for those who open a Roth IRA in the United States and later return to their home country. However, if your country doesn’t have a tax treaty with the U.S. you could lose significant amounts of money.

Should I Invest in a 401K?

Opening a 401K is usually a wise decision. A 401K account grants the holder many tax benefits and helps them prepare for when they can no longer work. However, non-residents and non-permanent visa holders should be cautious about the type of account they open. 

Investing is wise if your country has a tax treaty with the U.S. However, it might not be advisable if they don’t and you plan to close your account as soon as you leave. Speaking with a qualified financial advisor is one of the best ways to ensure your money is safe, no matter where you invest.