facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause

Name Mismatch

It depends. Is the account you want to transfer yours? Or is it someone else’s account?

If you’re transferring your own account, but your last name has changed (e.g., marriage):

Update your name on file with the firm that has your old name (you may have to provide some documentation of your name change).

Note: If MYRA has your outdated name, email us your new name at Support@MyraWealth.com, and upload documentation (e.g., your marriage certificate) to Documents.

If you’re transferring your own account, and another part of your name is different (e.g., middle name, nickname, suffix):

Your transfer may be rejected by your current firm, but some firms are more strict than others so it can be hard to predict. To reduce the risk of having your transfer rejected, we recommend making sure that all firms have your full legal name on file before submitting requesting your transfer.

If you’re transferring someone else’s individual retirement account (IRA):

The owner of the IRA will need to transfer it into their own MYRA IRA under their own MYRA login (MYRA profiles are associated with an individual social security number, and IRAs are individual accounts). Once the IRA owner has transferred their IRA to MYRA, you can link their profile to yours to get a household-level view of your finances.

If you’re transferring someone else’s investment account (not a retirement account):

You have three options:

  1. The owner of the account can transfer the account to their own MYRA account under their own MYRA login. You can then link their MYRA profile to yours to get a household view of your finances.
  2. Work with your other firm to convert the account to a joint account that has the same owners as your MYRA joint account. Then resubmit the transfer.
  3. Transfer the funds from the other firm to a bank account, then  schedule a deposit from your bank account to your MYRA account. Note that selling investments at the other firm in order to move the funds to a bank account would be a taxable event. Consult a tax advisor with any questions.